Adjustable Lap Band Surgery
Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap-Band) Surgery
Lap-Band surgery is a reversible procedure where an adjustable silicon band is placed around the upper section of the patient's stomach. Adjusting the size of the band restricts the amount of food that can be consumed by the patient, facilitating weight loss.
Is Lap-Band Surgery Right for Me?
Lap-band surgery is suitable for patients who want to permanently lose a significant amount of weight. After surgery patients should expect to lose between 0.5-1 kilogram a week for the first 12-18 months.
What are the advantages of Lap-Band Surgery?
Because the procedure used for Lap-band surgery is laparoscopic, it is less invasive than traditional open surgery. This results in:
- Reduced scarring.
- Shorter recovery period.
There are several other advantages of this procedure:
- The band is adjustable, meaning the stomach can be reduced/increased in size as needed.
- It is reversible.
What does the Lap-Band Procedure involve?
The lap-band procedure involves several steps:
- The surgeon makes small incisions in the patient’s stomach.
- Specialised instruments, including a lighted camera, and the adjustable silicone band are then inserted through these incisions.
- The camera transmits a live feed, enabling the surgeon to carefully secure the band around the upper part of the stomach with sutures.
- An injection port is connected via a tube to the band and then positioned alongside the muscle of the abdominal wall.
- The band can then be tightened or loosened by injecting or draining a saline solution.
What are the preparations before Lap-Band Surgery?
Before the procedure Dr. Dhan will run a series of tests to ensure that patients are ready for surgery. Patients may need to lose weight, start exercise, or change their diet to prepare for the procedure.
Dr. Dhan will go over the specific instructions for preoperative care, but generally patients will need to:
- Go on a liquid diet a week or two before surgery.
- Avoid eating after midnight, the day before surgery.
- Ask a friend or family member to be at the hospital for support and comfort.
Patients may also want to purchase the foods, drinks, and medications they will require after surgery.
What to Expect After Lap-Band Surgery?
Following lap-band surgery patients will need to:
- Apply for at least one week of leave from work.
- Follow a liquid diet for the first two weeks.
It is recommended that patients also take these steps to facilitate treatment and recovery:
- Follow a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly.
What are the costs and funding options for Lap-Band Surgery?
There are a number of factors which may influence the final cost of surgery including hospital fees and the price of medications. Dr. Dhan will be able to provide a more detailed quote after consultation.
Patients can choose from a variety of payment options available depending on their financial circumstances and insurance status:
Medicare rebates are available for this procedure and our surgery offers options for patients.